Grazing Days Farm sells quality grass-fed Angus beef and pastured pork raised on the farm directly to families who live in and around Ottawa / Gatineau. We practice regenerative agricultural practices because we know that properly managed grazing of cattle improves the health of our soils, protects our streams, rivers and aquifers, sequesters carbon, and is an effective way to harvest solar energy. Grazing Days is Paul Slomp, Josée Cyr-Charlebois and their two young children.
Grazing Days is looking to hire for 1 full-time position. That position can be either Pack House Manager or Grazing and Herd Hand. Please let us know in your application which of these positions you are applying for.
Location: St-André-Avellin, QC
Duration: mid-July to mid-January
Hours: approx. 50 hours a week
Remuneration: 725$ a week
Deadline to apply: July 10th, 2020 at 6pm.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Pack House Manager will be responsible for preparing orders of grass-fed beef, pastured pork and pastured chicken, managing inventory and pack house organization.
Specific tasks may include:
- Sorting meat received from the butcher into boxes of specific cuts of meat
- Build, label and date boxes
- Packing 10 lb and 40 lb mixed boxes
- Pack individual orders and adjust order invoices
- Maintain product inventory records
- Maintain a clean and organized working and packing space
- Load the delivery vehicle
The Grazing and Herd Hand will spend her/his time with the cattle herd and the pigs.
Specific tasks may include:
- Observing cattle and grass growth to inform grazing plan
- Moving cattle to fresh grass several times a day
- Monitoring the health and well being of cattle and pigs
- Take photographs of the herds, pastures, etc. for social media
- Assisting in sorting cattle.
- Special note: September to December is our abattoir season and part of the work of the Grazing and Herd Hand is to help get animals through our corral and onto trucks. This is work that is very emotional for us and we want to make sure that people applying for this position are both aware of this, and that they treat this task and season with as much respect and seriousness as we do.
The Pack House Manager and Grazing and Herd Hand will be supervised and mentored directly by Paul Slomp, one of the owners of Grazing Days.
- Transportation to the farm.
- Work fast and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Be committed to quality control
- Ability to carry boxes of up to 60 lb
- Have great organizational and spatial visualization skills
- Experience working with livestock an asset
- Ability to work with a tractor an asset
- Be able to happily work with others
Grazing Days Farm practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
This job is part of the Canada’s Youth Employment and Skills Program and as such to be eligible for this position, candidates must be:
- 30 years or younger when you started the internship
- unemployed, student or underemployed
- have not participated in any other Youth Employment and Skills Strategy program (that is, Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative and/or Career Focus Program)