Position: Packing, Grazing and Herd Hand
Full Time Fall Position
Duration: September 2019 – December 2019
Wage: ($700 per week, 50 hr work week)
Ferme Grazing Days Farm is seeking an individual who is able to work full time from September to December, who is hard working, motivated, interested in regenerative agriculture and believes in quality local food.
About the Farm:
Ferme Grazing Days Farm (http://www.grazingdays.ca) sells quality grass-fed Angus beef and pastured pork raised on the farm directly to families who live in and around Ottawa / Gatineau. We practice regenerative agricultural practices because we know that properly managed grazing of cattle improves the health of our soils, protects our streams, rivers and aquifers, sequesters carbon, and is an effective way to harvest solar energy. Grazing Days is Paul Slomp, Josée Cyr-Charlebois and their two young children.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Packing, Grazing and Herd Hand will spend some or her/his time with the cattle herd, and will be responsible for preparing orders of grass-fed beef and pastured pork.
Specific tasks may include:
- Observing the cattle, observing the grass
- Moving the cattle to fresh grass several times a day
- Monitoring the health and wellbeing of the cattle
- Take photographs of the herd, grass, packed meats, etc. for social media
- Sorting the meat received from the butcher into boxes of specific cuts of meat
- Build, label and date boxes
- Packing 10 lb and 40 lb mixed boxes of grass-fed beef or pastured pork
- Pack individualized orders of grass-fed beef or pastured pork and adjust order invoices
- Maintain product inventory records
- Maintain a clean and organized working and packing space
- Load the delivery vehicle with packed orders for the upcoming delivery route.
The Packing, Grazing and Herd Hand will be supervised and mentored directly by Paul Slomp, one of the owners of Grazing Days.
- Transportation to the farm.
- Work fast and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Be committed to quality control
- Ability to carry boxes of up to 60 lbs
- Have great organizational and spatial visualization skills
- Experience working with livestock an asset
- Ability to work with a tractor an asset
- Be able to happily work with others
Ferme Grazing Days Farm practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
This job is part of the Canada’s Youth Employment and Skills Program and as such to be eligible for this position, candidates must be:
- 30 years or younger when you started the internship
- unemployed, student or underemployed
- have not participated in any other Youth Employment and Skills Strategy program (that is, Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative and/or Career Focus Program)
Apply with a letter of interest and resume to:
by August 30th 2019.